Chime Group (or originally Chime Communications) was for many years best-known as the holding company for the UK's biggest public relations agency, Bell Pottinger, as well as other advertising and marketing subsidiaries. It was founded and led by Lord Tim Bell, the PR guru who moulded the media image of the Conservative Party for much of Margaret Thatcher's political reign during the 1980s. However, in summer 2012, Bell and longtime business partner Piers Pottinger stepped down from the group, buying out the Bell Pottinger agency and establishing it as a separate company under private ownership. The slimmed-down Chime Communications still has interests in PR, but is more specifically focused on advertising - through creative agency VCCP - and especially sports sponsorship, in which its CSM Sport & Entertainment subsidiary is the local market leader in the UK. The group was taken private towards the end of 2015 by private equity fund Providence, with backing from WPP.
Who are the competitors of Chime? See ranking of Leading Global Marketing Groups
Who are the clients of Chime? See individual agency profiles below for more
Subscribers only: Adbrands profile
Adbrands Company Profiles provide a detailed analysis of the history and current operations of leading advertisers, agencies and brands worldwide, and include a critical summary which identifies key strengths and weaknesses. Adbrands Account Assignments tracks account management for the world's leading brands and companies, including details of which advertising agency handles which accounts in which countries for major markets. Subscribers may access the following website links:
|VCCP||Harvard Public Relations|
|Good Relations||Insight Marketing|
|CSM Sport & Entertainment||Teamspirit|
|Opinion Leader Research||Ledbury|
Adbrands Weekly Update 16th Nov 2017: Chris Satterthwaite is to step down as CEO of marketing group Chime after 15 years in that role. His role will be divided between VCCP's Adrian Coleman and Chime Sports Marketing's chief Matthew Vandrau, who become co-CEOs. Jo Parker, who has been leading the specialist healthcare division, was promoted to group COO, while VCCP CMO Stephanie Brimacombe becomes group managing director.
Adbrands Weekly Update 1st Sep 2016: In an unexpected development, PR guru Tim Bell - Lord Bell as he is now - has walked away from a business he founded for a second time. Having built up the Chime Communications marketing group around his original core PR agency Bell Pottinger, he bought out the latter agency in 2012 as private business. Now the 76-year-old industry veteran has departed Bell Pottinger as well in order to launch a new firm under the name Sans Frontieres to specialise in geo-political advisory services, the slightly controversial field for which he is best known. His departure could prompt Bell Pottinger's reacquisition by Chime, which had retained a minority shareholding in the business. Chime COO Mark Smith replaces Lord Bell as chairman.
Adbrands Weekly Update 6th Aug 2015: The board of UK marketing group Chime, best-known now as the parent of ad agency VCCP and a collection of sports marketing assets, has accepted an offer from Providence private equity for a buyout of the group for a little over £370m, a third higher than its current valuation. WPP, which already holds a 20% stake in the business, will retain that holding, and will assist with the further expansion of the group under Providence's ownership.
Adbrands Weekly Update 30th Jul 2015: British marketing group Chime, parent of advertising agency VCCP and a substantial sports marketing division as well as other assets, is considering a buyout offer from private equity firm Providence and WPP. The latter is already Chime's biggest shareholder with just over 20% of equity. Under the proposed arrangement, endorsed by WPP, Providence would buy out the remaining 80% to take the group private.
Adbrands Weekly Update 26th Mar 2015: UK marketing services group Chime, best-known as the parent of the VCCP advertising agency, reported a greatly improved set of results for 2014. It also accelerated its move away from PR by transferring its remaining operations in that segment, agency Good Relations, into the wider VCCP advertising and marketing division. (Chime's original core, the PR giant Bell Pottinger, was sold to founders Tim Bell and Piers Pottinger in 2013). Operating income topped £200m and the group delivered pretax profits of £15.8m, compared to a £5m loss in 2013.
All rights reserved © Mind Advertising Ltd 1998-2018